View All Tips&Tricks
Are you ready to weather winter’s harshest storms? Make sure these three things are checked off your to-do list before you get snowed in:
- Snow Days Ahead: Locate snow shovels and stock up on ice melt. If you have a snow blower, start it up to make sure it’s ready for the next snowfall.
- Prep Your Cars: Get cars ready for storms by topping off your car’s windshield wiper fluid. And make sure you’ve got a snow brush and ice scraper stashed in the car.
- Check for Ice Dams: Ice dams and icicles are your home’s way of telling you that the attic is leaking heat. These DIY tasks can stop ice dams from forming:
- Check the attic for the most common areas for air leaks—around light fixtures, plumbing pipes, ventilation, rafters and chimneys— and seal them with caulk; if needed, add insulation and ventilation to attic spaces.
- After every snow fall, use a roof rake to remove snow from the roof.
- If ice dams still form, install Frost King Roof Cables to melt keep ice from forming. Watch our installation video before you get started.